Home Page with Town List Special Offers
EACH TOWN | WHOLE CAPE | Search | About S'CapeNotes & Help | Membership | COFFEE MUG 1 | 7 |A

LOCATOR MAPS

Western Cape

- West Coast

- Swartland

- Breede River Val.

- Great Karoo

- Route 62

- Garden Route

- Overberg

- Winelands

- Olifants River Val.

SERVICES

Tour Operators

Car Hire

Hiking, Biking

4x4, Boating

Clubs, Societies

In the town of: Cape Town South Peninsula:

Auret's Cottage, Self-Catering accommodation, St James (Cape Town Accommodation)

By Carol on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 09:02 pm: Edit Post

Auret's Cottage is a 150 year old house, situated in a garden opposite the St James beach and tidal pool. It has many original features, such as wooden floors, wide walls and sash windows. It sleeps four - five people and has one double bedroom and two single bedrooms. There is a large lounge/ dining room leading to an open plan kitchen. Rates are affordable, and range from R150 - R200 per person per night. In peak season, the cottage next door is also available, and a party of eight - ten people can be accommodated in both houses.

Contact Carol at 021-7886799
e-mail carol@capecottages.co.za
www.capecottages.co.za

By Carol on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit Post

I'll tell my guests in future to post their comments on this page, but for now here's a comment from my visitor's book:
"Lovely cottage, beautiful walks and scenery, interesting history, fun shops and restaurants. We really enjoyed our stay."
Fay Voysey-Smit

By Carol on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit Post

Excerpts from an e-mail exchange:

27 July, 2003

Dear Carol
Being interested in history, I would like to know if the cottage advertised in Country Life will be available for a single, as from 10 to 23 December?
Yours sincerely,
Joan Abrahams

28 July, 2003
Dear Joan,
I am afraid that as the cottage is equipped for four, we have a minimum charge of R400 a night in December, which would be very expensive for one. This stretch of the coast is wonderful if you are interested in history. For example, there are very active historical societies in Muizenberg, Kalk Bay and Fish Hoek, there is the Muizenberg - St James historical walk listing all the historical properties in the area, including ours, and of course there is Rhodes Memorial and the Labia Museum. I do have other accommodation available ....
Regards and Best Wishes
Carol

01 August 2003
Dear Carol
... I was already picturing myself walking around and exploring all the spots. St James is particularly intriguing because of the Auret cottage. Do you know the connection with that cottage and the three POW's who escaped and who were helped by the Auret family until they joined up with the commando of Gen Jan Smuts? It's a great story.
Yours sincerely,
Joan Abrahams

02 August 2003
Dear Joan,
Did you realise that I live in Auret's cottage? The cottage which we rent out is the original barn in which the POW's apparently hid. Let me know when you are here, and I'll be happy to show you around.
Kind Regards
Carol

20 August 2003
(After many e-mails back and forth about alternative accommodation)
Dear Carol
You are a honey. Thank you so much for keeping me in mind...The information concerning the POW's that escaped with the help of the Aurets reads as follows:
"At the Simonstown camp the prisoners were frequently taken to the beach to wash and swim in the sea, and on one of these occasions Hjalmar Pettersone-Janek, one of the Scandinavians captured at Magersfontein, had himself buried in the sand with a reed to breathe through. This ruse worked, and he made his way from Cape Town to Lourenco Marques and back into the Transvaal, where he joined the Lichtenburg Commando." I am not sure that he was one of the three because they joined up with Jan Smuts but it's a pretty good story.
Thank you once again. Sincerely, Joan Abrahams.

Add a s'CapeNote:

Any reader is invited to add a s'CapeNote in the form of a question, introduction, guestbook-style entry, reply, review, or even just a note to yourself. There is NO other form to fill in - this is it! The format is entirely free and it can include many different colours, styles and pictures of your choice. (Please feel free to experiment and learn in the Scribble Pad):

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password (register):

HOME(Dynamic) | Scribble Pad | Formatting | Emoticons | Troubleshooting | Rules | Links Admin