Home Page with Town List
INTRO & TOWNS | WHOLE CAPE | Search | About ScapeNotes & Help | Membership (Optional) | COFFEE MUG 1 | 7 |A

MAPS

Western Cape

- Cape Town City

- West Coast

- Swartland

- Breede River Val.

- Great Karoo

- Route 62

- Garden Route

- Overberg

- Winelands

- Olifants River Val.

SERVICES

Tour Operators

Car Hire

Hiking, Biking

4x4, Boating

Clubs, Societies

Special Offers

About ScapeNotes & Help:

Photo Place - how to put photos in your notes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patricia on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 12:46 pm: Edit Post

(Shortcut for webmasters with pics hosted on their own server: \imagelink{URL} and \c{\imagelink{URL}} for centered)

Step 1:
The photo (image) must be stored on your own computer in .jpg or .gif format.

Step 2:
The photo must have a file size of under 50 kB and a maximum pixel size of 600 x 300. (To see the size and memory space of a picture, right-click on it and look at the "Properties".) Most photos by digital camera need to be re-sized. The easiest freeware re-sizer program for me is PhotoResizer, but you probably also received a program with your camera. Remember to save the photo as a .jpg or .gif, with a max pixel width of 600 pixels, max pixel height of 300 and a memory size of less than 50 kB. Photos are most efficientlty saved as .jpg format, while graphics (logos) are better in .gif format.

Step 3:
Decide on the photo "name" that best fits the context of the note that you want to make. The photo name does not have to be the same as the file name. In fact, it is easier if you use titles like "My Village" and "City Center", etc.

Step 4:

Write your note, and at the points where you want the images to appear, insert the commands:
\image{My Village}
and
\image{City Center}
etc.

(Please remember: backslash, no spaces outside curly brakets, and the word "image" in lower-case)

Step 5:
Post your note and you will see this:

preview

At this stage the real photos are not yet visible they still need to be uploaded. At this "preview" point you can still change your text and the position of the photo. When you are happy with your text and the photo position, press the "Add this Note" button.

Step 6:
You are then presented with the "Upload" screen as follows:

upload

Use the "Browse" button to find each of the image files on your computer. Now you can see why it is important to use a simple name for each photo. In the example above, we had \image{My Village} typed in the post and now we simply have to browse our hard-drive to find the photo that corresponds to it.

Press the "UPLOAD" button and you are done! :-)

You can test all this in the Scribble Pad as much as you want to.

Please feel free to ask questions on photo posting below. Some kind soul will probably come along to help you out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patricia on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 01:24 pm: Edit Post

To wet your appetite, here is an example of a 600 x 240 photo 36 kB.

Fish Hoek, Silvermine river estuary

If you hover your cursor over the photo, you will see what I typed between the curly braces when I gave a name to this photo. Therefore I typed \image{Fish Hoek, Silvermine river estuary}.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michelle Knight on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:36 am: Edit Post

How do I centre 2 or 3 photos next to each other with a gap in between each?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scapenotes Administrator on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 08:22 am: Edit Post

This code will center a group of 3 photos with a slight gap in between:

\c{\image{pic1} \image{pic2} \image{pic3}}

the "c" is for centering, and the spaces are made with the space bar. Only a single space is normally possible - but you can play with the \ch{nbsp} code if you really want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jnette on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit Post

I would like to add a photo to my note in the scribble pad, but I've already posted and saved it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scapenotes Administrator on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit Post

Hi jnette,

Unfortunately, the editing of notes only works for text, fonts, colours, and the positioning of text & pictures, but it does not cater for adding pictures.

Suggest that you repeat your note, with the photo included, and you can tell me if you want the older note deleted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jnette on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 04:47 am: Edit Post

I did it !!!!
Please have a look at my second try.
Will it be possible for scapenotes to move my note to the correct tourist area?
Thanx for the help. (Yes, the first note can be deleted.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jnette on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 04:30 am: Edit Post

I've added a facility in the Scribble Pad for Malmesbury.
Can you please move the note to the MALMESBURY tourist area.
Thanx again.
I really enjoy your site - it's great !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scapenotes Administrator on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 07:21 am: Edit Post

Will do. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jnette on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit Post

Will it be possible for me to create a document in Word or in any other program (with pictures and fancy text) and then paste the document to you're 'scrbble pad' or 'add facility' page?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scapenotes Administrator on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit Post

Unfortunately not. :-(

You can of course use some other program for the text & grammar/spellcheck, and then paste that in here. I use WordPad, and add the \format{} stuff while I am still in WordPad - it reduces the on-line time.

Be careful with pasting from fancy programs like Word, sometimes there are "strange" codes hidden in there. If you want to use Word, save your document as a plain .txt file first.

PS. Thanks for the mail reply

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Front Page Town List | Scribble Pad | Formatting Instructions | Emoticons | Troubleshooting | Rules Admin