Home Page with Town List
INTRO & TOWNS | WHOLE CAPE | Search | About ScapeNotes & Help | Membership (Optional) | COFFEE MUG 1 | 7 |A

MAPS

Western Cape

- Cape Town City

- West Coast

- Swartland

- Breede River Val.

- Great Karoo

- Route 62

- Garden Route

- Overberg

- Winelands

- Olifants River Val.

SERVICES

Tour Operators

Car Hire

Hiking, Biking

4x4, Boating

Clubs, Societies

Special Offers

About ScapeNotes & Help:

Engine Room - the technical aspects behind this site

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Admin on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit Post

Hi All,

This is the nuts & bolts of the system that drives ScapeNotes. I am no IT expert, but we can try and point you in the right direction regarding problems with logging in, information shown in your profile, e-mail notification, and other general irritants and suggestions.

If you have a question regarding the formatting of your notes (colours, bold, italic, etc), please visit the Formatting Shed. If you are having problems loading and positioning photographs in your notes, you can visit the Photo Place.

Generally, I will also keep an eye on the Scribble Pad, and if I see you having some problems there I may just stop by and try to lend a hand.

However, I am a lazy bloke - so please don't leave all the work to me! Anybody else in the ScapeNotes community is welcome to answer the technical questions as well. I have a day job too, and I really would appreciate the help!

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patricia on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit Post

You told me in an e-mail about the server that this board is on and the differences in speed of access depending on the time of day. Would you mind repeating that little story here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Admin on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit Post

Scapenotes is hosted on the servers of Lexiconn who are based in America, but I am not sure if they have repeater servers in other locations. Scapenotes is a modified form of Discus Pro V4..

In my experience, access to Lexiconn from America, Europe, Asia is always super fast. (Lexiconn is not cheap, but top corporations find them fast and reliable). Access from South Africa to Lexiconn is slightly slower. We think that foreign tourists would be the biggest group looking at Scapenotes and thus we want them to have the fastest access.

I don't think that South Africans realise how slow their SA-hosted websites are from an overseas browser. Quite frankly, SA-hosts are very inefficient if they want to advertise to the overseas market. (If you don't agree with me on this one, have you ever tried to retrieve your e-mails from an internet café overseas?)

The speed between SA and overseas is faster in the mornings than the afternoon or evening - simply because the huge American group of internet users start going on-line at around lunch time in South Africa.

I would appreciate it if some users of Scapenotes tell me about their experience of the speed of Scapenotes in particular, and "overseas" sites in general.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Front Page Town List | Scribble Pad | Formatting Instructions | Emoticons | Troubleshooting | Rules Admin