About ScapeNotes & Help:
Writers - where to meet those that can write for you.
Professional, freelance, amateur and learner writers are welcome to advertise their services and give tips in this section.
The most common e-mail request that we receive at ScapeNotes, is to write something on behalf of the guesthouse owner. We would love to have a group of writers who list themslves below, and who showcase their talents by writing a couple of ScapeNotes for us.
(The ScapeNotes team, a group of unpaid people, would also love to have some advice on improving the wording used in our headers and instructions. ie. Wanna join our team? )
By Andie on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:06 pm: Edit Post|
For those "Do-everything-yourself" guesthouse owners, here are some ideas on what you can include in your description of an accommodation facility:
FOR THE TITLE:
a. The name/title of your establishment (as it would be listed in the Telkom directory for example)
b. What type of establisment is it? Self-catering flat/cottage/house? Bed & Breakfast? Guesthouse (offering more meals)? Camping? Lodge (with outdoor activities)? Hotel?
c. Where is the location within the area defined by Scapenotes? On the beachfront? In the centre of the village? In a separate village? On a farm X kilometer out of town? Up on the hill overlooking the valley? Etc.
Remember that search engines are fussy about the title - use words in your title that most people will use when they search for your place.
FOR THE BODY OF THE NOTE:
Write a couple of paragraphs that more or less cover the following prompts(some points are obviously required to be addressed, but the rest are just ideas of what you can talk about):
- Setting, scenery, proximity of neighbours, privacy. Separate entrances? Shared lounge or pool? Smoking allowed? Children allowed? Views? Traffic noise? What makes your place special or different?
- What facilities are in the rooms? Single/twin/double beds? Size of D/bed? Duvets? Kettle, heater, fire-place, fan, air/con, fridge, TV(Mnet?), etc.? Bath or shower?
- Bring own bedding, towels, dishcloths? Are rooms serviced? How often is linen changed? Are there laundry facilities?
- Parking: shade, lock-up, off-street, car-washing, etc.?
- Animals at your premises, can guests bring their own?
- Breakfast: Hot, cold, in-room fridge, served at table, etc?
- Cooking facilities: Microwave, dishwasher, chest freezer, braai (grid/wood), gas or electric, etc.?
- Other facilities nearby: swimming, hiking, shopping, sport, restaurants, entertainment, curiousity shops, museums, artists, etc.? Annual events or festivals?
- Price rates and seasons, special offers, arrival/departure times. Open all year? Credit cards accepted?
- Contact information (Essential!): Person's name, tel/fax numbers, e-mail, website, street address, postal address. Languages spoken?
- photos are always good!
By be_africa on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:24 am: Edit Post|
PO Box 35085, Northcliff, 2115 Johannesburg
Cell phone: +27 82 3706656
Office tel / fax: +27 11 7921450
media matters Offers writing and editing of news, features, corporate and public relations copy. It also provides media strategy, research, script writing, custom-designed media training, television production and fixing.
Sahm Venter is a former senior producer for the international television news agency APTV/APTN and print journalist based in Johannesburg. She is currently reading for a Masters Degree in Journalism and Media Studies.
Sahm started media matters mid-2002 after 14 years with The Associated Press as television producer and correspondent, as well as seven years writing for South African publications.
Do you need a web site for your tourism-related business? We have many happy clients in this industry, so please contact us for a quotation...
Websites of the quality of the one at www.ofcourse.co.za for just R1000. Domain name registration R140 and hosting fee of just R39 per month.
Contact Lynne at 083 299 7383 for more information