Home Page with Town List
INTRO & TOWNS | WHOLE CAPE | Search | About ScapeNotes & Help | Membership (Optional) | COFFEE MUG 1 | 7 |A

MAPS

Western Cape

- Cape Town City

- West Coast

- Swartland

- Breede River Val.

- Great Karoo

- Route 62

- Garden Route

- Overberg

- Winelands

- Olifants River Val.

SERVICES

Tour Operators

Car Hire

Hiking, Biking

4x4, Boating

Clubs, Societies

Special Offers

About ScapeNotes & Help: COFFEE MUG - the casual discussion board forum for tourism in Cape Town and the Western Cape:

Koffie en Ouma-beskuit - gesels gerus Afrikaans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scapey on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 03:06 pm: Edit Post

Lyk my dat die meeste mense nie meer die kappie op die "e" van "gesÍls" sit nie? Of het hulle dit nooit gedoen nie? Ek is nou deurmekaar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Maankind on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit Post

Nog NOOIT 'n kappie op gehad nie!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald_d on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 11:12 am: Edit Post

Oeps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald_d on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit Post

Wag 'n bietjie, ek het vandag die woord "gesÍls" in 'n koerant gesien - wat is nou korrek?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit Post

To Í or not to Í ?? GesÍ het dit, gesels nie!

What about our overseas tourists?? They won't understand a word, so it's not a tourist friendly gesture. Almost as cheeky as the French, just more Afrikaans! :-)

But I'm serious though, let's be totally tourist-friendly on here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald_d on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit Post

We want to make all sections of our community welcome at ScapeNotes. This section of ScapeNotes (COFFEE MUG) is meant to be a place of total relaxation, not necessarily tourist-orientated, where we can let down our hair - if some people want to do it in a non-English language, they are very welcome to do so.

We reckon that people know well enough that they need to post in English if they want the largest group of tourists to read it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit Post

Dis goed so, soos Gerald sÍ... Ek was maar nog net net nie so lekker gekonfyt in hierdie deel van die werf nie. Miskien sal dit help as ek beter die opskrifte en riglyne lees, nÍ?! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald_d on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit Post

:-)
Waar is al die ander "onnies"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myriamc on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit Post

I can't write Afrikaans myself but I do understand it (I'm a Dutch-speaking Belgian) and for me reading Afrikaans is a perfect way to prepare for my trip to the Western Cape. I hope to be able to speak some Afrikaans while there.
So ... keep up the good work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald_d on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 07:22 am: Edit Post

Hello Myriam, good to see you here!
(Hallo Myriam, goed om jou hier te sien!)

I find that the Belgian Dutch (Flaams?) is very close to Afrikaans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myriamc on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit Post

Indeed, Gerald, Vlaams is very close to Afrikaans. Athough Afrikaans is much more expressive. I love words as verkleurmannekie, reukweerder or braai as they express just what they are. Much more colorful than cameleon, deodorant or bbq!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald_d on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit Post

As for Afrikaans being much more expressive, I've heard it said that "geen ander taal vloek so lekker nie". Did you know that the verkleurmannetjie (correct spelling) is also known as the trapsuutjies?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myriamc on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit Post

No, I didn't know that. I wouldn't have 'gotten' it anyway!
Verkleurmannetjie I can easily understand because "verkleuren" is Flemish for changing colors.
As for the word "volstruis" (which is struisvogel in Dutch/Flemish), if the "vol" part is derived from "vogel" = bird, I find it so weird that the two parts of the word have switched places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald_d on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit Post

Trapsuutjies means tread(put foot down) softly/carefully/gently/gingerly. On Google you get many more hits on trapsuutjies (1200) than on verkleurmannetjie (90).

I would not have thought that the "vol" of volstruis is connected to the Dutch "vogel" or the Afrikaans "voŽl" because the vowel sound of the "vol" is much different. The Afrikaans word "vol" means the English "full". It is almost as if there was a half-size-struis and then a full-size-struis. :-)

The German word is only Strauss (not strauss-vogel) - the vol-strauss might have a German origin, like other Afrikaans words.

The word "wol" in Afrikaans is wool (from sheep or goats). Maybe it was the wol-struis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myriamc on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit Post

It's interesting to find out where words originate from. Vol means full in Dutch as well.
Whatever it is with the struis, I count on seeing only full-size-struis!! ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald_d on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:34 am: Edit Post

Okay, we will not show you any volstruis kuikens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myriamc on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit Post

Sure, I do want to see these! I don't think I've seen volstruis kuikens during our safari in Kenya. I was surprised to see how big ostriches actually are and I remember that they always seemed very angry when our ranger drove too close. Out of self-defence, of course!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald_d on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myriamc on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit Post

Baie lieflik !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Soekershof Walkabout on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 08:26 am: Edit Post

Ever had a guide who introduces you to a quest in 'Deurmekaar Afrikaans'?
Just visit Soekershof Walkabout.
More about Soekershof: http://soekershof.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Front Page Town List | Scribble Pad | Formatting Instructions | Emoticons | Troubleshooting | Rules Admin