|EACH TOWN | WHOLE CAPE | Search | About S'CapeNotes & Help | Membership | COFFEE MUG||1 | 7 |A|
This is started as a class project for 2004 Grade9w class of Flinkdink High School. The task is find each place of worship or religious assembly in the Stellenbosch district and to enter the following data below:
Photo by Wilhelm Malherbe
Stellenbosch Hebrew Congregation
Ryneveld Street, Tel 881-3642, Fax 886-5257
PO Box 128, Stellenbosch
Photo by Wilhelm Malherbe
THE EARLY MUSLIMS OF STELLENBOSCH
Many slaves were brought to the Cape by the Dutch East India Company in the 17th and 18th centuries. Not only were these captives intended as labour for the Company itself but many were sold to the burghers in and around Cape Town and later to owners in Stellenbosch and other country areas as the colony expanded. By 1692 seven owners possessed a total of 43 slaves in Stellenbosch. By 1705 the slaves had increased to 205 and towards the end of the century the number of slaves in Stellenbosch exceeded 1 400. Slaves were also set free from time to time and several owned land in Stellenbosch. Louis of Bengal, who was allowed to purchase his freedom in 1672, was one of the first people to own a farm in the Jonkershoek Valley. In 1683 and 1685 Marquart and Jan van Ceylon also obtained farms in the area.
Although only a minority of these people originally came from the Malayan Archipelago they and their descendants all became known locally as Malays or Cape Malays. Since many had no connection with Malaya it would be more correct to use the term Muslims. (The Afrikaans word Slamse or Slamaaier being a corruption of "islam" is also appropriate).
Despite the early influx of muslims, Stellenbosch never had a large muslim community. Sheik Jussuf, who is generally considered to be the founder of Islam at the Cape, came to the Stellenbosch district in 1694. Banished from Batavia after his capture by the Dutch East India Company he lived with his retinue of wives, children and religious followers near the mouth of the Eerste River where his grave or kramat is still visited by thousands of muslim pilgrims every year.
Another colourful personality, also banished to the Cape by the Dutch East India Company, was the Pangerang Loring Pasür, a prince of Java, who was given a house to live in in Dorp Street, Stellenbosch in 1723.
In 1725 his brother, Prince Dipa Nagara, was also brought to Stellenbosch where he lived for 18 years. In 1749 rince Wargo Digma of Bantam and two rajahs were brought to Stellenbosch where the building of the old mill near the top of Dorp Street was put at their disposal.
The muslim community mainly excelled as craftsmen and merchants and in 1897 the first mosque was constructed in Banhoek Road.
Photo by Rosemarie Breuer
|HOME(Dynamic) | Scribble Pad | Formatting | Emoticons | Troubleshooting | Rules | Links||Admin|